Karosserie-Umbauten / Motor-Tuning!
Nachricht
Autor
Mike Holland
Vespa: GTS300 x 2
Land: Australia

Re: GTS300 wont start - Flooding?

#16 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Di 4. Sep 2018, 09:05

I have checked that plug under a magnifying glass. All the pins stand in beautiful straight rows, and all the sockets have neat round holes. Re-plugged it. Still does not start.

Maybe I exchanged a faulty ECU for another faulty ECU. :(

Scooter is now prepared for a valve check. Removed exhaust, transmission cover, saddle, topbox, and disconnected the suspension on the exhaust side, and removed the top two valve cover bolts. Tomorrow I will mount the scooter on blocks, disconnect the other shock, remove rear wheel and drop the engine, ensuring that no cables/pipes get stretched as it drops, with a pad below the transmission case so the weight does not go onto the brake disk. Then comes the tricky bit. 8-)

GTS-Peter
Vespa: GTS 300 Super Sport
Land: Deutschland

#17 Beitrag von GTS-Peter » Di 4. Sep 2018, 09:28

Hi Mike,

You don't need to remove the rear wheel and dismount the whole engine to check the valve clearance. Just disconnected the rear shocks and lift up the body of the vespa. The engine will turn in a position that allows you to remove the valve cover easily and do your inspections.

Would be strange to have two ECU with exactly the same fault.

Mike Holland

#18 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Di 4. Sep 2018, 10:52

I don't have a jack to support the body, so I have to work bricks and planks underneath to take the weight off the stand.

It is not the same problem. The ECU was replaced because of mis-firing when cruising at 90-110 kph. But I agree. It is highly improbable. Just as improbable as having three weird almost unique problems on one scooter when my previous 7 Vespas have all been very reliable. The Gods have got it in for me!

GTS-Peter

#19 Beitrag von GTS-Peter » Di 4. Sep 2018, 11:55

Okay understood :) you can also pull the body up with a rope or lashing strap. Just keep it well balanced and may look for someone around to have a hand on the scooter when you lift it up. Just to be safe .

Dangerseeker
Vespa: GTS 300 Super ABS
Land: DE

#20 Beitrag von Dangerseeker » Di 4. Sep 2018, 12:57

Dangerseeker und Mike, vergoldete Steckkontakte werden aus Kostengründen nur ultradünn vergoldet.
Die Goldschicht ist nur wenige µ-mm strak und ist für eine 3-5malige Betätigung ausgelegt.
Danach wir die Kontaktgabe immer schlechter/unsicherer.
Trockenreinigungen sollten daher sehr vorsichtig ohne starke mechanische Beanspruchung der Kontakte durchgeführt werden.

Kontaktsprays sind hauptsächlich deshalb nicht zu empfehlen weil sie nach der Reinigung nicht rückstandsfrei entfernt werden können.
Außerdem kann durch die chemisch aggressive Zusammensetzung das Isoliermaterial des Steckers angegriffen werden.
Die Steckerhersteller machen sich sicher wenig Gedanken ob das Isoliermaterial chemisch resistent ist, außer sie produzieren für Raum/Luftfahrt oder Militär.
Aus diesem Grund wird hier meist Keramik verwendet.

Die ECU Kontakte sind deshalb weniger störanfällig da sie maschinell direkt auf die Platine aufgelötet sind.

Goldkontakte versagen eigentlich nur wenn sie nicht trocken und staubfrei betrieben werden.
Ein ausreichender Staub und Spritzwasserschutz ist bei der AMP-Steckerlösung z.B. der ECU an der Vespa gegeben.
Danke Mikesch. Klingt einleuchtend.
Ich werd alles mal mit Druckluft ausblasen und die Kontakte am Kabel checken.

ET Oldie
Vespa: GTS
Land: deutschland

#21 Beitrag von ET Oldie » Di 4. Sep 2018, 22:20

Hello Mike Holland, we've met on the other forum, and here as well.
Earlier this year, I was interested in buying a used GTS that had been in the showroom for a while. Low mileage, looked brand new. The counter guy told me the GTS has been there for months, they cannot figure out why it stalls just after the motor gets warm. A warranty case. Many components have been replaced, still no change. Turns out the scooter had software issues, and was a so-called grey import, which is not illegal in Germany. After some difficulties in acquiring the proper program for an update, all turned out well.
Just saying....

Mit Verlaub;
In Frühjahr habe ich auf eine Neuwertigen GTS bei meinem Händler Kaufinteresse gezeigt. Wenig Kilometer drauf, sie sah Neu aus. Der Aufnahmeleiter erklärte mir, die GTS sei dort schon einigen Monaten, so bald der Motor warm wird, geht es aus. Garantiefall. Etliches ist ausgetauscht worden, nichts neues kam dabei raus. Nach geraume Zeit, stellte sich heraus, Software Fehler als Übeltäter. Die GTS war ein Grau-Import, was nicht von Händler verschwiegen wurde. Problem war, die Importeure waren nicht auf den neusten Stand der Software Programmierung. Fall erledigt. So haben zwei Leute mir die Situation erklärt. Die betroffene GTS ist schon fort.

ET Oldie

#22 Beitrag von ET Oldie » Di 4. Sep 2018, 22:30

By the way, I agree there are excellent, technically knowledgeable folks here on this forum. Lots of special questions get answered here fairly quick, a really friendly and decent forum!

Übrigens, es stimmt, hier sind technisch versierte und erfahrene Mitglieder hier im Forum. Viele spezifischen Fragen werden schnell geantwortet, wirklich sehr freundlich und angenehm hier im Forum!

Michael

Mike Holland

#23 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Fr 7. Sep 2018, 04:58

I have now checked the valve gaps and the decompression mechanism, and all is fine. The exhaust valves were a little tight so I slackened them off a bit.

I have now been unable to ride for about a month, and am thinking of scrapping this scooter and getting a new one. But I am going to have one more try with the one Vespa workshop, and my scooter will be collected on Monday.

Mike

Dangerseeker
Vespa: GTS 300 Super ABS
Land: DE

#24 Beitrag von Dangerseeker » Fr 7. Sep 2018, 12:34

I read a post somewhere about so called reimports. Could be a wrong or faulty Software.
A reimported Vespa (in Germany it's called "Greyimport") uses a sligtly different Software Version.
I am going to check this with my dealer.

Mike Holland

#25 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Mo 10. Sep 2018, 07:47

I have checked valves and decompression mechanism. All ok. The scooter is all standard now, even the exhaust, and if it is still running rich it can only be the fuel pressure or a faulty ECU. Scooter is back at the agents now. I am getting very depressed.

Mike Holland

#26 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Di 11. Sep 2018, 09:21

Fuel pressure checks out OK at 2.5 bars. Must be the ECU!!!

Mike Holland

#27 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Di 18. Sep 2018, 06:28

The agents phoned me Monday morning to say the scooter was fixed and I could collect it. Said they had adjusted some parameters in the ECU software, resetting them to original values (whatever that means). So I collected it. It started, and started again after a fill up at a petrol station. Parked it and went inside to change. Came out again and it wouldn't start.

So I have now ordered a new ECU from SIP, with express delivery. I will post again once I have installed it.

GTS-Peter

#28 Beitrag von GTS-Peter » Di 18. Sep 2018, 06:50

Heieiei what a pain...

Hope that will fix it. Have you checked the kill switch and the ignition switch as well?

Let the bike run and fiddle a bit on the kill switch and watch out for any reactions of the engine.

ET Oldie

#29 Beitrag von ET Oldie » Di 18. Sep 2018, 10:23

Mike Holland hat geschrieben:The agents phoned me Monday morning to say the scooter was fixed and I could collect it. Said they had adjusted some parameters in the ECU software, resetting them to original values (whatever that means). So I collected it. It started, and started again after a fill up at a petrol station. Parked it and went inside to change. Came out again and it wouldn't start.

So I have now ordered a new ECU from SIP, with express delivery. I will post again once I have installed it.
This seems to coincide with the problem I stated before. Outside temps, read higher temperatures, the Vespa would just not start after running a while in warmer weather.

Mike Holland

#30 Beitrag von Mike Holland » Fr 21. Sep 2018, 04:38

The new ECU arrived at 12:10. At 12:30 it was installed and I was revving the engine. Now I will take a ride around the block, and see whether it still starts. Then I shall let it cool for an hour or two and try again.

Looking good. :vespa:

Antworten