Vespa: As Jaunty as Ever

Alles rund um die Nove Quarantasei - 946!
Antworten
Nachricht
Autor
flocke
Vespa: GTS 100fünf&20
Land: Bayern

Vespa: As Jaunty as Ever

#1 Beitrag von flocke » So 24. Aug 2014, 10:33

THERE'S JAUNTY, and then there's the game-ending, backboard-shattering slam dunk of jaunty, the Piaggio Vespa 946 Ricodo Italiano scooter ($9,946). This white bird of paradise was at my Monterey hotel when I arrived last week and was getting more attention than the circle-drive full of Lambos.

Veterans instantly recognized the genius of it. Every year during the classic-car weekend, the Monterey Peninsula hosts the world's most expensive traffic jam. Solution? A Vespa. For two reasons: One, you can ride a step-through scooter comfortably in street clothes or even dress attire, much more so than a sport bike, over which one sort of curls up in the fetal position. Two, scooters are narrow, nimble and forgiving, which makes them perfect to split lanes and ride the shoulder around bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Don't wag your finger at me, Mom. If it's legal (in California) and it cuts a half-hour from my trip back to the lodge, you bet I'm going to split lanes. That Roederer isn't going to drink itself.

And so on Sunday morning, those attending the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance car show might have seen me zipping past them in my totally sick new double-breasted blazer, on my snow-white Vespa, jauntiness like a wind at my back, wearing a Vespa-branded helmet that was 100% "Spaceballs."

Here's Vespa, in 25 words or less: Corradino D'Ascanio, Roberto Colaninno and "Roman Holiday." The first is the aeronautical engineer who, in the bombed-out remains of Piaggio's factory in Pontedera, Italy, designed the first Vespa, a vehicle that put postwar Italy on wheels again. Mr. D'Ascanio's design was insightful, transforming, with a load-bearing, enclosing steel monocoque, floorboards and exterior panels; engine and centrifugal clutch transmission connected to the rear wheel (no chain).

Mr. Colaninno is the financier whose company IMMSI SpA took over the struggling Piaggio beginning in 2003. Part of the turnaround plan was Vespa product development. Our little friend is California-legal, with a four-stroke, 150-cc engine and catalytic converter and a top speed on flat ground of about 60-65 mph.

But in a world of Hondas, Yamahas and supercheap Chinese scooters, Vespa's conversation with the consumer has to be about personal presentation and not just transportation. After all, our tester was about $10,000 out the door, a sum that would buy a fleet of other scooters. Vespa is trying mightily to position itself as an exclusive luxury confection. For example, Vespas don't come in model years; they come in "Collections." Our test bike had stitched Frua leather grips in lovely brick color to match the saddle (rake adjustable), and many grace notes of chromed materiality, high style and heritage.

That brings us to "Roman Holiday," a 1953 film starring Gregory Peck, Audrey Hepburn and what is some pretty lame backscreen projection. This film is Vespa's sinecure, its immortality, 118 minutes with two of the finest-looking people ever, frolicking on a Vespa. As long as they show that film, people will buy Vespas.

Obviously, your results may vary. Indeed, the Vespa may well be the most unforgiving fashion statement of all time. If you are skinny and beautiful, man or woman, between 18 and 25, yes, you can look amazing on a white Vespa. If you are gray and 54 and look like the Schwartz is with you, maybe not.

But I decided to own it. Jaunty? Yeah. That just happened.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/vespa-as ... 1408735363

Antworten